The Roofing Alliance, the foundation of the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA), proudly announces the Roofing Alliance Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship Recipients for 2019-20.
Since 1986, The Roofing Alliance has invested time and funding not only to educate the roofing industry but also the industry’s youth through the Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship Program. Named for Melvin Kruger, a former NRCA president and CEO of L.E. Schwartz & Son Inc., Macon, Ga., the program is available to NRCA contractor and supplier members, their families and their employees who plan to pursue careers in the roofing or construction industries.
The Roofing Alliance awarded five new Roofing Alliance Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarships to:
- Joseph Castellucia – Dan Cohen Scholarship, son of Joseph Castellucia, vice president, Chris Andersen Roofing Co., Hopelawn, N.J.
- Davis Edwards, son of Van Edwards, Chief Op Officer, Midsouth Roof Systems, Forest Park, Ga.
- Matthew Killgore – OMG Scholarship, son of Charles Killgore, Vice President, Delta Roofing & Sheet Metal, West Memphis, Ark.
- Morgan Patterson – OMG 2nd Scholarship, daughter of James Patterson, Vice President Procurement, Centimark Corporation, Canonsburg, Pa.
- Calvin Raymore, son of Calvin Raymore, Senior Vice President of Safety and Risk, Centimark Corporation, Canonsburg, Pa.
- Salvador Flores Garcia – Beacon Roofing Supply Scholarship, attending University of California: Berkeley, Berkeley, Calif.
- Elaina Krumholz – Fred Good Scholarship, attending the University of Minnesota; Twin Cities, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Sophia McGuire – William A. Good Scholarship, attending University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Alyssa Merna – Firestone Scholarship, attending Olivet Nazarene University, Bourbonnais, Ill.
- John Paynter – Melvin Kruger Scholarship, attending East Carolina University, Greenville, S.C.
- Cameron Tickerhoff – Firestone Scholarship, attending Penn State University, University Park, Pa.
“A total of $30,000 was awarded for scholarship renewals,” stated Josh Kelly, current president of the Roofing Alliance. “We also awarded $25,000 for five new scholarships for a total of $55,000 for the 2019-20 school year. To date for the Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship program we have awarded a total of 130 students who have received $845,000 in scholarship awards. We are very honored to give back to the next generation of roofing professionals in this way.”
Scholarship recipients are awarded $5,000 per year for up to four years of undergraduate study. Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic record; potential to succeed; leadership and participation in school and community activities; honors; work experience; a statement of career goals and aspirations; and an outside appraisal. Details for the 2020-21 Melvin Kruger Endowed Scholarship program and the application guidelines will be available in August of 2019.
The Roofing Alliance is committed to shaping the industry’s future by funding education, research, scholarships and philanthropic initiatives, all for the purpose of securing the industry’s future excellence. Composed of 169 members representing extraordinary leaders from the contracting, manufacturing, distribution and service provider communities, the Roofing Alliance has committed $13 million to enhance the performance and long-term viability of the industry and allocated more than $5 million to fund 48 research, education, technical and philanthropic programs and projects. Serving as the foundation of the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA), Roofing Alliance members are focused on giving back and supporting high-quality educational programs and ensuring timely and forward-thinking industry responses to major economic and technological issues. For more information about Roofing Alliance initiatives, visit www.roofingalliance.net.